The Labour Mayor of London is planning a terrible entry tax to anyone who dares to travel in from the outside.
For those who live well into the city, it may not seem like a particularly large issue. But there are tens of thousands of residents who live straddling the border of London, and the future of those communities depends on regular travel from both directions.
This charge of £5.50 a day just to drive in will negatively impact:
- District centres need to attract shoppers to keep local businesses sustainable, this charge will put many off
- Families who have childcare across the border will be forced to pay
- Those with caring responsibilities across the border will have their cost of living increased
- Commuters who travel into London across the boundary will see costs increase further
- Those who need to cross the border for local work, they'll see their travel costs increase
A YouGov opinion poll found that 54 per cent on London-based respondents opposed the idea of a boundary charge. More Londoners think a boundary charge would hurt London’s economy (44 per cent) than help (21 per cent). Of the 56 per cent of Londoners who have family or friends who drive to visit them from outside Greater London, 53 per cent said this would be impacted.
Please watch the above video, and sign Shaun Bailey's petition!